The World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) seeks expressions of interest from individuals desiring to serve as WFD experts together with other specialists in different fields of expertise. The overall objective of the WFD Expert Groups is to assist the WFD Secretariat in their daily work by providing specific expertise, guidance and advice related to their field of knowledge.
A co-ordinator will be appointed to each of the expert groups to lead the group’s work, guided by Terms of Reference based on the WFD Action Plan 2016-2019, the WFD Congress Resolution and the priorities outlined by the WFD Board. Tasks that experts are asked to do, might include developing and revising WFD statements/documents, providing advice on different cases, and making recommendations to the WFD Board as outlined in the Terms of Reference.
The Expert Groups will be consulted in the drafting process of the final Terms of Reference and the implementation time table will be decided in co-operation with the WFD Secretariat and the Expert Groups. The co-ordinators and members of the expert groups will serve as volunteers and thus are not be paid or reimbursed for any expenses during their term. They are expected to actively take part in the work of their Group: participate in email discussions and report to the WFD Board twice a year as a group.
The WFD envisages a four-year term for expert group members and co-ordinators, starting in January 2016 and running until December 2019.
In addition to the open call for applications, the WFD reserves the right to invite individuals to serve as WFD Expert Group members without applying for the role.
Working Groups & Roles
The WFD is seeking a co-ordinator and a number of expert members for each of the four groups:
- WFD Expert Group on Human Rights with focus on issues concerning Women, Children and Youth, CODAs, Senior Citizens, LGBT, Deafblind persons, Health and Bioethics.
- WFD Expert Group on Deaf Education covering Early Intervention and Lifelong Learning.
- WFD Expert Group on Sign Language and Deaf Studies
- WFD Expert Group on Accessibility including Information Accessibility, Technology and Sign Language Interpretation.
Making an Application
To apply, please provide:
- A completed WFD Application Form for Expert Working Group.
- A curriculum vitae or résumé (max one page) in English.
Email applications to: Phillipa.Sandholm@wfd.fi Your application must be received by no later than Friday, 20 November 2015.
Enquiries by email can be made to Phillipa.Sandholm@wfd.fi